RIP: Maui Restaurants That Have Closed
As we are in the last furious few weeks before releasing the new edition of Top Maui Restaurants, a couple of noteworthy Maui restaurants have closed – Wok Star being one. Boo hoo! Here’s a partial list of places that have closed in the last year:
- Alexander’s Fish & Chips (both Kihei & Kahului locations)
- Gian Don’s closed, and Scoreboards opened in the same location, then closed a few months later
- Bamboo Bar & Grill in Lahaina
- Kapalua Sweet Shoppe (which used to be Cafe Kapalua)
- Cascades at the Hyatt (Japengo is in their spot now – look for our review in the new book)
- Gaby’s Pizzeria in Lahaina
- Green Banana in Paia (it’s now Paia Bay Cafe)
- Penguini, the cute little gelato shop with excellent macaroons 🙁
- Who Cut the Cheese in Kihei changed their name when they moved to their chic new digs in Wailea at the new shopping center off the Piilani Highway. Now called Guava, Gouda & Caviar, they’re open, but don’t have their liquor license yet for the new location.
- Maui Masala closed in Kihei, and a new Indian takeout place is there: Saffron
- The Melting Pot in Lahaina
- Wok Star in Kihei
The good news is that Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop opened is opening in the old Chez Paul location in Olowalu. Started by Star Noodle’s chef and part of the Old Lahaina Lu’au family of restaurants, it’s got a lot of potential to offer good food at a good value. We’re crossing our fingers. They open next week, so we won’t be able to include a review in this next edition of the book, but we’ll post a review on this site as soon as it’s fair to do so…
UPDATE: A couple of people wrote in to ask about Ma’alaea Waterfront, which has been closed for several months “for reservations.” At this point in time (mid-November), they are saying that the opening date is “indefinite” but maybe February 2012, on their facebook page.
January 23, 2012 @ 4:06 pm
the makena grill just past big beach also closed down in sept. by maui county officials after 10 1/2 years due to zoning issues. the positive note is it is re opening this week in parker arizona…..aloha molly….marisa samuels owner/chef makena grill 808.281.5700
January 24, 2012 @ 9:38 am
Our loss is Parker’s gain, Marisa. Maui County has been particularly tough on food trucks lately – thanks for the update.
November 14, 2011 @ 10:33 am
November 11, 2011 @ 1:11 pm
1st. I love your book and really it was very helpful to us on our stay In early June.
My daughters wanted to go to Plantation House for lunch and I was reluctant based on your review that the food doesn’t always live up to the view, etc. However 7 of us went for lunch.
My brother in law ordered the Albacore Melt ($16.00) He and I both expected that he would get a tuna steak topped with cheese. We were more than a little surprised to see a regular old tuna melt with lots of mayo. As a value proposition I would give this 1 * at most.
Really enjoyed meals at Aloha Mixed Plate, Pacifico’s, Kimo’s and Roy’s as well as drinks at Duke’s and Maui Brewing Co.
Can’t wait for you new edition even though we won’t be back to Maui until 2013.
Thanks very much for your keeping us mainlanders informed about Maui dining (even though it makes me more than a little envious).