As we are in the last furious few weeks before releasing the new edition of Top Maui Restaurants, a couple of noteworthy Maui restaurants have closed – Wok Star being one. Boo hoo! Here’s a partial list of places that have closed in the last year:
- Alexander’s Fish & Chips (both Kihei & Kahului locations)
- Gian Don’s closed, and Scoreboards opened in the same location, then closed a few months later
- Bamboo Bar & Grill in Lahaina
- Kapalua Sweet Shoppe (which used to be Cafe Kapalua)
- Cascades at the Hyatt (Japengo is in their spot now – look for our review in the new book)
- Gaby’s Pizzeria in Lahaina
- Green Banana in Paia (it’s now Paia Bay Cafe)
- Penguini, the cute little gelato shop with excellent macaroons 🙁
- Who Cut the Cheese in Kihei changed their name when they moved to their chic new digs in Wailea at the new shopping center off the Piilani Highway. Now called Guava, Gouda & Caviar, they’re open, but don’t have their liquor license yet for the new location.
- Maui Masala closed in Kihei, and a new Indian takeout place is there: Saffron
- The Melting Pot in Lahaina
- Wok Star in Kihei
The good news is that Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop opened is opening in the old Chez Paul location in Olowalu. Started by Star Noodle’s chef and part of the Old Lahaina Lu’au family of restaurants, it’s got a lot of potential to offer good food at a good value. We’re crossing our fingers. They open next week, so we won’t be able to include a review in this next edition of the book, but we’ll post a review on this site as soon as it’s fair to do so…
UPDATE: A couple of people wrote in to ask about Ma’alaea Waterfront, which has been closed for several months “for reservations.” At this point in time (mid-November), they are saying that the opening date is “indefinite” but maybe February 2012, on their facebook page.